Interested in why King Solomon used the phrase:” madness and folly, “read on.
After reading today’s Chicago Tribune, I could not help but relate the “madness and folly” phrase written 3000 years ago by king Solomon.
Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind. (Ecclesiastes 1:17)
The Purpose of This Post
Is to summarize the “madness and folly” in todays news to relate to King Solomon’s observations of the futility of human beings “chasing the wind” of folly during their short lifespan instead of wisdom.
What happens to those without wisdom?
A person with no wisdom brings to himself many consequences, including foolishly pursuing the ways of evil. Proverbs says about those who run after rebellion against God.
- They have perverse words (James 3:8, Romans 3:11 – 14)
- Their ways are dark and they love darkness (symbolic of evil) (Proverbs 2:13, Psalms 91:6, John 1:19)
- They enjoy running after and the spoils of doing evil (Proverbs 2:14, Luke 8:14, 2Timothy 3:1 – 7)
- The rebellious refuse to do what is right (Proverbs 2:15, Matthew 7:13 – 14, Philippians 2:15)
- They behave in devious ways and are deceptive (Proverbs 2:15, Ephesians 4:14, Matthew 24:24)
- They disregard covenants (agreements) (Proverbs 2:17, Romans 1:22 – 32)
Summary of Folly in Today’s News
- Mother and daughter charged in teens death reports the murder of a nine month 19-year-old pregnant mother strangled and baby cut out of her womb now in a “brain dead” state in a hospital.
- Hundreds rally to support reinvesting pot revenue reports how everyone wants a share of the anticipated pot revenue lawmakers are trying to pass legislation to approve the sale of legalized marijuana. Even though legalization is proven to detrimental affect brain function, lung diseases, higher traffic accidents, 25 percent of uses will become addicted, and when legalized will promote more use over time.
- Saudis blame Iran for drone attack amid calls for US strikes, reports more Mid East tensions building up to entangle the US into another Mid East war for oil that is no longer needed in the USA from Mid-East oil suppliers.
- The cynical ‘logic’ of anti-abortion law that excuse women who get abortions reports an opinion that women who have abortions should be jailed. As if they have not been abused enough, in my opinion.
- Illinois’ tax system dings local manufactures. Here is a fix. Reports how Illinois manufacturers will be taxed even higher while at the same time the State is trying to attract more employers in Illinois to create jobs.
- Etc. etc.
In My Opinion
Buy a Chicago Tribune and read more etc. news reports. It may motivate you to read up on observations King Solomon made 3000 years ago about the futility of his spending a lifetime trying to promote wisdom.
In other words, all King Solomon’s efforts will have a limited effect on teaching understanding to human beings that they will spend their limited time on earth “chasing the wind” instead of wising up and learning from the experiences of generations before them.
He accurately predicted the future in this verse made accurate by just reading the history of what every generation since his time has proven over time.
Then I turned my thoughts to consider wisdom, and also madness and folly. What more can the king’s successor do than what has already been done? (Ecclesiastes 2:12)
Will we ever wise up and start teaching wisdom to our children to hopefully lessen the “madness and folly” we read about every day in the news?
If not, will we every stop reading about, “What happens to those without wisdom,”
Regards and good will blogging.
Motto of This Blog
What the world needs now in addition to love is wisdom. We are the masters of our own disasters.